Monday, July 26, 2010

Why should children read?

Our CEO, C. P. Viswanath says:

At a recent interview on a television channel, I talked about the importance of nurturing the reading habit.  At the end of the programme, the producer of the show asked me if I really believed what I said.  His point was this - when television and videos can communicate information or ideas more comprehensively through words and visuals, why are we so hung up on the written word.


I gave several arguments to support my point but I am not sure that he was convinced.  So shall we try and find 10 clear reasons why a child should read.  Or should we aim for a 100 reasons? I throw the field open to all of you to come up with reasons.  


And now, we're wondering if you all can help us come up with 10 or 100 or even 1000 reasons why children should read! Can you help us?

Pratham Books has come up with some fabulous reasons of their own! Check it out here.

We're also having a raging discussion on the subject on Twitter! Come join our discussion!

Also follow Viswanath on Twitter here.

Leave your suggestions as comments on this post or join our conversation on Twitter or Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment